In our last blog we spoke about preparing yourself for Alliance 2020, ensuring you download the mobile app, plan your sessions, and follow all the relevant news feeds to make the most of your Alliance experience. Once that’s done, how do you ensure you being are the best participant you can be? Here are the Project and Change Management Advisory Groups’ top tips to participate well and make the most of every opportunity you have to actively engage with colleagues from around the world.
- Practice introductions – think about how you want to engage with people, what you will tell them about yourself and what you do, and why you came to this conference. This is a good starting point to networking and creating successful connections.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions – whether it’s in a formal session, a stop and share, or even in the lunch queue, don’t be afraid to ask questions to help you get the most out of your conference time. You never know where inspiration might come from.
- Spend time with friends…AND with people you don’t know – it can be so exciting to re-connect with colleagues from all over the world or with those you don’t get to spend much time with at work, but make sure you take the opportunity to get to know some new people as well!
- Plan for inspiration and take notes – have a think in advance about what you want to take away from the conference. Are there any pressing issues or ideas you want to explore? It’s easy to get swept up in the conversation but forget the details when you get home. Make sure you take a note of ideas and takeaways so you can be sure to share them with your colleagues or follow up with your new connections.
- Get social - There will be plenty of opportunities for networking at Alliance 2020. Make sure you keep an eye out for opportunities for social engagement alongside the formal sessions. The PCM group will be hosting a Community Mingle on the Sunday afternoon at 3.30pm. Come along to meet your Advisory Group members and others interested in the topics covered by our track. This session is a great introduction to Alliance and our group, and will set you off on a good start to make the most of the global networking opportunities on offer. We hope to see you there!